neither of her parents is overweight, 9 year-old Celine, whom they adopted
2 years ago, weighs about 30 percent more than the average girl of her age
and height. "We just can't understand it," they lament.
"She's tried several diets and still can't lose weight!
She's so upset that all she does is mope around the house all day. What
can we do to help our daughter?"
To advise Celine's parents, you obviously need more information. For each question below, explain how the answer will help you determine the cause of Celine's weight problem, and what you might recommend as a result. Click on any question below to start.
1. How many hours of television does Celine watch each day?
2. Are Celine's biological parents obese?
3. Does Celine get much exercise? Do her adoptive parents exercise regularly?
4. Is the family diet low in fat, and are family attitudes toward food healthy?
5. When did Celine's weight problem begin?
6. Is Celine's teacher aware of her self-image problem?